The Ruben Amaro project

 As a team collector my collection has had several revisions and evolutions over the years.  As a kid I would just buy any card if it was a Cleveland Indians card.  Later as a teenager I decided I was going to simplify my collection by going after all Topps flagship cards (base & traded/update).  A few years ago realizing there were many players who weren't represented in the Topps sets, I expanded to include the other big card makers (Bowman, Donruss, Fleer, Upper Deck). Still not completely satisfied, over the past year I've come to include other sets as well (Score, Pinnacle, Leaf, Pacific, Stadium Club, Ultra, & Collector's Choice).  What I came to the realization of is what was truly driving my collection wasn't just collecting Cleveland Indians cards, but was the players themselves. 

the 90's Indians teams were my introduction to the Fandom.  I remember getting caught up in the wave of excitement of the first pennant race in forty years.  As a nine year old I had to memorize all the players names, especially those that made the postseason roster.  As a little leaguer I loved the game, but was not very good myself and so I always gravitated towards the role players & utility players.  I ofcourse loved  Jim Thome and Manny Ramirez, but I always had a fondness for Alvaro Espinoza, Wayne Kirby, and Ruben Amaro. Both Espinoza and Kirby were regulars in previous seasons and therefore had baseball cards depicted in Cleveland uniform for me to collect, but it was always frustrating for me as a kid (and I'll admit young adult) that I could not find a baseball card of Ruben Amaro in a Cleveland uniform.  

Fast forward to last year when I discovered TCDB and began cataloging my existing collection. While exploring the site, I discovered that Ruben Amaro did indeed have a card issued in a Cleveland uniform, 1995 Pacific.

 



It was with this discovery that I started to put a plan together and I'm finally ready to embark on a new collection journey.  I want to collect as many different players as possible who have suited up for the Cleveland Indians/Guardians.  To help narrow down, I have utilized both Baseball Reference and TCDB to help come up with a list.  I have initially chosen to include only players who have played since 1950 to present and who actually played in a game for the Indians/Guardians during that span.  

Some ground rules for what I'm looking for in this collection:

    -Primary consideration will go to cards of players depicted in a Cleveland Indians/Guardians uniform.

    -Secondly cards of players in another team uniform but the card still have the player listed as playing for Cleveland (currently). 

    -Lastly, if neither of these criteria are met, I will then look for minor league cards of said players playing for teams within the Cleveland organization with priority to the highest possible level (AAA over AA, AA over A, etc). 

Aprox. 1,381 Cleveland players meet the dates criteria mentioned above, of those players 1,118 have had cards issued meeting the other criteria above.  Of those, I already have 904 thanks to the sets I have collected.  That leaves 214 players from 1950-present that have cards issued that I can still collect.  I have put together a list of said players, the years they played, and the cards that were issued.  Some of the players have multiple potential cards I could collect and for the most part I am only interested in one and will remove the player from my want list after obtaining one of them.  

I have posted the wantlist for this project here. I will update the list regularly and post about the incoming cards. 

Comments

  1. As an almost lifelong Cleveland fan, I appreciate your endeavor--noting also the Ruben Amaro when I acquired it. For all the awkwardness of a URL on the front, the 1998 Pacific Online set was fun for getting cards of Alvin Morman, Ron Villone, and Pat Borders in Indians' uniforms as they were hard to locate in the hometown garb. I'll check to see if I can help with any from your want list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, the 1998 Pacific Online set seems odd, but then again many things around that time were trying to capitalize on the impending Y2K Tech boom. I always thought it strange that Pat Borders didn't have more examples of Indians cards as I felt he was every bit as important to the team as Tony Pena was to them the previous years, and Pena had a ton of Cleveland cards.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fun project. It's amazing to me that you were that far along, and that was before you were even trying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it helped that while I had yet to formulate a plan and lacked the know-how to get it done, it was always in the foreground of my mind that I was trying to collect as many different players as possible. I kind of miss the junk wax Era because there were so many brands each with several flagship sets, which meant competition and that meant everyone was trying to outdo the others. This meant that chances were higher that if you made it to the big leagues you were likely to be immortalized in at least one set of cards. With the current monopoly being held by Topps, I feel like they don't even try at times.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dedmon to Freeman (Amaro Project Update & More)

Mail call and Ruben Amaro project update